Cosmetic dentistry has numerous oral health benefits so whether you want to look stunning for an event or just want to feel good in your smile again, you will be pleased to know that you are protecting and strengthening your dental health at the same time.
At Peter Family & Cosmetic Dentistry we want to give you the smile of your dreams without sacrificing time, money, or health. Take back your confidence and your oral health with one simple and fast treatment that is long-lasting and sure to keep you smiling for years to come.
A BEAUTIFUL COVER-UP
If you have discolored, crooked, or worn teeth, choosing to have dental veneers placed is the first step to improving the appearance of your teeth and getting that winning smile you’ve longed for. Dental veneers are wafer-thin and custom-made covers placed on the front of the teeth to improve their appearance.
At Peter Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we provide porcelain veneers because they offer the most natural and tooth-like aesthetics. As well as being sturdy, long-lasting, giving a strong and natural-looking smile without years of cosmetic treatments.
What Types of Cosmetic Dental Concerns Can Veneers Treat?
Dental veneers are not just for fixing misaligned teeth instead they solve numerous cosmetic concerns and are often used to treat the following dental problems:
- Teeth with gaps.
- Worn-down teeth.
- Uneven coloring.
- Severe discoloration.
- Chipped or broken teeth.
- Smaller than average teeth.
- Misaligned or uneven teeth.
- Pointed or unusually shaped teeth.
- Teeth that have craters or bulges.
Some of these issues cannot be treated with regular teeth whitening or shaping and require dental veneers to restore your smile.
Porcelain Veneer Procedure
The dental veneer procedure is completed in two visits to our Independence practice over the course of a few weeks. Here are the steps involved in a porcelain veneers procedure:
- Diagnosis and treatment planning: The first phase of treatment is examination and diagnosis. This will be completed in a consultation with our dental team. Dr. Jeffrey Peter, DMD, will examine your teeth and evaluate your oral health to determine if veneers are the best option for you.
During your consultation, you can share your preferences for the shape, length, width, and color of the veneers and the change in the appearance of your smile that you want them to create to ensure that the treatment will meet your expectations.
This is the point where the dentist will walk you through the treatment plan that is specific for you and give you a realistic quote for the service. This ensures that you are informed and prepared for the next steps.
- Tooth preparation and reshaping: To prepare your tooth for a veneer, Dr. Jeffrey Peter will reshape the tooth surface by removing about half a millimeter of your tooth enamel and take an impression of the teeth to create a mold.
We will then send the mold to a laboratory that fabricates the custom-fit porcelain veneers. It typically takes between one and two weeks after your dentist creates your mold to get your veneers back from the lab. Temporary dental veneers can be used in the meantime.
- Bonding: Once your veneers are ready, Jeffrey Peter, DMD, will place the veneer on your tooth to examine its fit and color, making any adjustments as needed.
Next, we will thoroughly clean your teeth to prevent bacteria from being trapped under the veneer and causing decay. Using a grinding tool, we will etch each tooth to create a rougher texture, making it easier for the veneers to bond to the teeth.
Dental cement is applied to the veneer and then placed on your tooth. We use ultraviolet light to harden this cement quickly, bonding the veneer to your tooth. This will make the veneers strong similar to your original teeth.
- Follow-up and after-treatment care: After you have received your dental veneers you may want to schedule a follow-up appointment to ensure that they are to your liking and do not require any additional care. It is important to continue proper dental care and regular dental visits.
One of the greatest parts of veneers is once you get them, you are ready to go! At each following routine dental appointment, your dentist will make sure that the veneers are not getting worn down and will look over your entire mouth so you do not need to worry about them.
How to Care for Porcelain Veneers
Unlike other dental procedures, dental veneers don’t require any special care. Continue to follow good oral hygiene practices, including brushing twice daily, flossing, rinsing with an antiseptic mouthwash, and regular dental checkups as you normally would.
Other precautions that can help extend the lifespan of your veneers include:
- Don’t chew on hard objects such as ice, pens, or your fingernails.
- Never use your teeth to open packaging or condiment packages.
- Try not to chew with your front teeth and eat hard foods with your back teeth only.
- If you grind or clench your teeth at night, get a splint or retainer to protect your dental veneers.
- Always wear a mouthguard when playing sports.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
Visual appeal: The most significant benefit of porcelain veneers is improving the appearance of your teeth—giving you a brighter and more even smile. Porcelain has a translucent quality that has a shine quite similar to tooth enamel.
Durable material: Porcelain veneers also resist staining and chipping better and are incredibly durable, lasting 10 to 15 years with proper care. This will keep your teeth white without the need for whitening which saves you time and money. Additionally, veneers don’t require as much shaping as crowns do, yet they are stronger and look better.
Protects oral health: Dental veneers protect your oral health by creating a shell around your tooth that resists plaque buildup, and gums tolerate porcelain well. Since they cover cracks and chips in your teeth you are preventing bacteria from growing inside those spots. This does not mean you should stop taking proper care of your teeth rather it works as a second step of protection.
Cost of Veneers
Dental veneers range in price based on several factors, including the number of teeth you need to cover and the amount of preparation necessary before the procedure. Since most insurance companies consider veneers to be a cosmetic procedure, many insurance plans will not cover the cost. To be sure, check with your dental insurance provider.
The benefits of veneers will outweigh the cost! With their study, stain-resistant, and restorative features, veneers will give you confidence back in your smile and significantly lower the need for cosmetic treatment in the future.
Schedule Your Consultation Today!
Whether you are looking for a smile makeover or want a cosmetic correction, veneers are an excellent option. At Peter Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we provide exceptional dental veneers that give you a picture-perfect smile. If you are ready to transform your smile with porcelain veneers, contact us today to schedule an appointment!